Monday 13 May 2013

Today ~ and tomorrow

I haven't posted anything in more than a year.

Why am I back? Why now?

Well I guess first I should tell you why I left. The answer is fear.

I had a person who befriended me and knew about my blog and I was worried about them knowing so much about my life. For a period of time, I even feared that their liking of me had surpassed a healthy interest. I decided it was a bit too risky to post.

Did I write in the meantime? Absolutely. I wrote in a journal at home and I have had some nice entries and over time I will add them here... which brings me to why I came back.

Reason #3: Because, as a mother of three young boys I did spend a lot of time talking to my children about bullying. One thing I taught them was that bullies really shouldn't be given enough power to "win." In many ways, that bully won when he kept me silent by scaring me. With some internal courage (and the input of a law enforcement officer who is aware of the situation), I am standing up and taking back ownership of my blog.

Reason #2: Because as a young woman recovering from a hemorrhagic stroke, I want to have a voice. I don't have a career anymore and my cognitive disabilities prevent me from re-entering the traditional 9-5 deadline-based, commuter work world. But it hasn't prevented me from thinking, feeling, or considering life and my journey. This blog helps me to leave a mark that someday may speak for me even when I can no longer. Consider this my place to etch my name in the strong bark of the world.

Reason #1: You. It seemed that lately the stars were aligned to shove me toward my blog. I have had several requests from very different people in very different parts of my life who each asked the same innocent question for their own very different reasons. One heard my voice as a fellow stroke patient. One heard my voice as an old friend from high school. One heard my voice as a comrade who also faces life's challenges from a tough illness. One heard my voice here in my blog as a way to feel connected with me and keep up with my journey. They each said: "I check often but nothing.... Will you write again?"


Typing hands on Keyboard
Dear reader,

In my first post almost three years ago, I asked you to take this journey with me. You never left but I did.

I'm sorry ...and I'm back. Please forgive me.

Sincerely, Jennifer



Be well.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, heartfelt post, Jen. I'm here and I'm ready to take this journey with you. You don't have to slay the dragons alone, but slay them we will.

    Anyone who puts words together like this: 'Consider this my place to etch my name in the strong bark of the world.' needs to write as much as we need to read your words. Looking forward to reading lots of them.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you writing again, Jen - I miss you!

    ReplyDelete