Saturday 12 February 2011

The Power of Humour

I don't think it matters who you are - or where you live - or what language you speak ... there are a few things most of us have in common.

We like to be happy
We aim to be the best person we can be
We seek for our children to have the best we can offer
We love loving and being loved
We hope we wil not be forgotten, and
We appreciate a good laugh.

This week I have had my initial evaluation/assessment at the Acquired Brain Injury facility and I will be going there for an eight-week program that will assist my rehabilitation in Speech and Language, Occupational Therapy, Psychology and Social Work.

We are lucky to have access to such remarkable and dedicated professionals and I would be remiss if I did not take this opportunity to acknowledge the amazing teams of people who have helped me at the Civic Campus of the Ottawa Hospital and at the Bruyere Hospital. Nothing but the best to share of those two remarkable facilities. I am endebted to their professionalism and ability.

So, getting back to the Acquired Brain Injury facility, my assessments were Monday and Tuesday as well as a medical appointment on Friday. I filled in a questionnaire that asks me about a variety of issues that can be related to my injury. The meeting had been fairly standard and I was asked expected questions about my mood these days. My answer was that despite the challenges I face and the ordeal we have survived, I feel optimistic and positive about my life. I said that I saw it as an opportunity to re-evaluate my life course and to dream of new paths in life that will suit my abilities/disabilities. There was a brief silence as the Doctor nodded and then he made me laugh.

He said that the thing is... my "life" was taken from me on September 7 when I had a stroke and my life has not been restored in the way it was. I nodded. He said that there would be no way to expect that you can live through that without feeling frustrated, angry, confused, or cheated. He said something along the lines of (roughly parahrasing) I would like to be an optimist but I'm not that good... the reality is that this whole situation sucks.

I laughed right out loud and appreciated the candor and humour very much. He's right in a lot of ways... it does suck and my life is frustratingly similar and yet so different. And in addition to physical trauma and cognitive/neurological damage it has been an absolutely crappy assignment of paperwork and insurance forms etc etc etc

So to hear his comment, I still smile and nod. It really does suck. But when I get tugged into that hole I consider the thousands of ways that it could be worse.

But on the days I can't focus on the thousands of worse things I like to have a really good laugh - maybe you will have some of those too ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aAtFrWft2k

















Be well,

Jen

3 comments:

  1. Oooh!!! Almost forgot to thank my brother and his fiancée for that link. We laughed for a long time in the family room one day. Thanks guys!!! xoxox

    AND Happy Belated Birthday to my future sister-in-law who happens to have the coolest first name ever (ahem... yes... she's a Jennifer).

    *mutters: Jennifers will someday take over the world*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great blog Jen, well done. We`re both laughing at the humour of your last blog and want to let you know, we both love you soooooo much!!

    On a serious note....both Jen and I felt your progress and rehabilitation has been going extremely well and that your blogs not only help your recovery but also gives so much empowerment to others reading.

    Work hard, stay strong, and live the Vowles way!!!

    PS: Jen thanks you for the birthday wishes!!!

    Love you
    Dennis and Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen

    thank you so much for your laughter (I can hear it as I read your posts) and for your inspiration... you have always found ways to make me appreciate your friendship more and more...

    keep well

    love

    marty

    ReplyDelete