Sunday 26 June 2011

Knowing, Assuming, Believing

Our minds operate in a way that makes us think we know more than we do...

There is very little we KNOW for certain. Knowledge, in the context of what I am writing, is the sum of what is known; the body of truth, information, and principles acquired by humankind. What we can know with certainty is a relatively short list - despite the generations of people who have been studying and observing and amassing knowledge to an ever-growing compendium of human knowledge. We can KNOW, for example, that two plus two equals four. We can KNOW that gravity on Earth pulls objects toward the surface of the planet (and holds us all here).

The list of things we BELIEVE is a variable that depends entirely on your experiences, your faith, your friend group, your interests. I BELIEVE, for example, in a benevolent God who is omniscient but who is not necessarily intervening in the human experience of life. I do not KNOW that to be true ... but I BELIEVE it. I also believe that my family and friends care about heart and stroke awareness. I cannot truly know that with certainty because humans are ever-evolving, ever-changing and each is facing their own experiences from moment to moment. But I believe it because they care for someone (maybe several people) who has raised that issue to the forefront of their mind for a period of time.

Everything else in our mind is an ASSUMPTION. I ASSUME that the sun will rise tomorrow. It may not... and I cannot know the future with any certainty so I assume things will happen in a way I can predict. I ASSUME that I will have tomorrow to accomplish some things I cannot complete today. I ASSUME that people I have watched and spoken to over the years will behave in a certain, predictable way. For example, I assume that my Father will continue to be irritated by an old, tattered Candian flag... my assumption might be wrong! He may at some point forgive those who let a flag hang in a sad state or he may reprioritize his interests and care less about flags ... but I doubt it. Regardless of whether or not he changes his mind on that issue, I am ASSUMING he will continue to care about flags... I cannot KNOW it. He is a person whose feelings on issues are his and he is free to change his mind at any moment.

Why am I talking so much about this? Good question...

Lori Derbyshire ~ January 1970-June 2011
This week I spent a lot of time considering a sudden and tragic loss of a family friend's young, vibrant, active wife. She died suddenly and without warning last Sunday at age 41. On that Father's Day, my friend and his two young sons were forever changed by an event that they could not have known was coming... nor did she for that matter.

Since that day, many people in their lives have had to reconsider the things that they thought they knew - what they had assumed - and what they believed. I reevaluated all of those things too.

~~~~~

I KNOW we will each end this journey of life in a way and at a time that we cannot predict. I KNOW that there are some things I would be devastated to fail to have done.

I ASSUME that my life can bring value to this planet and to others. I ASSUME that where I invest energy and time, I will be able to improve the life of someone out there; even if only in a tiny way, even if for only one person, even if just with a timely word, or with a hug or a warm smile.

I BELIEVE that a life well-lived is one step on a longer journey that extends far beyond this world. I BELIEVE that the people and experiences I have encountered were meant to be in my life with a reason.

Based on those three principles (of Knowledge, Assumption and Belief), I will live the rest of my days no matter how long or short so that I open my eyes each day as a happy surprise that I have another, fresh opportunity
  • to do the things I KNOW I want to do...
  • to accomplish something that day, no matter how small, which I ASSUME will bring value to others... and
  • to quietly and humbly pay attention to the people and experiences I BELIEVE I was meant to see and meet.

Imagine if we all paid attention to the life of those around us.

Jason, if you are reading this, thank you for sharing your heart-wrenching experience with others. You are loved and supported as Lori journeys on to the next destination on her path. You and your wife were a blessing to all of us around you and your life will continue to bless many even though some days may be more challenging for you in the coming time.

Be well,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment