Tuesday 14 June 2011

Patience

I stand still and watch and listen

I cannot fake being able to keep up with the pace of life
Well... maybe I can fake it but it only raises expectations
So I choose not to

I hear a piano being played in the distance

I try to manage a phone call or two a week
Sadly it's mostly to get my new Warfarin dosages or to talk to insurance companies
I need them more than they need me

In comes a wave and a breeze blows across my face

I manage some of the household chores, so does my husband
My sons earn assistance points all the time by doing a chore
(some they do with my grumpy face pushing them)

I notice a lovely Cardinal on the bird feeder in the backyard

Friends and family each only ask for one visit - one chat - one gathering
Soon they add up to daily
I can't manage that in addition to my own obligations for my kids, so I don't

My dog's soft black fur feels lovely against my foot where she is cuddled up

I have at least one medical appointment every week
Blood tests are a nearly constant event
Usually another medical appointment every couple weeks

I hear chirping and a plane humming overhead

I watched tv once in the past 8 months
I watched the royal wedding - why not watch a girl becom a princess?
Occurred to me often that his mom was missing... I hope when it's my sons' turn I am not missing

Warm sunshine on my face makes me instinctively turn my face toward the heat and close my eyes

Music still brings me joy
Headphones blocking everything else bring me even more joy
But the best of all is my sons in my arms loving me and me loving them

A butterfly lands on my window sill - just like she promised she would

I smile at her
   Her wings beat slowly
      And then she is gone

Patience
   Was worth the wait to see her if only for a moment
      It really is a virtue

Be well.

Jen

For those of you who have discussed and speculated that my absence is about "you" and why am i mad and blah blah blah blah...
... that is the only incentive i need never to be back in that game.

I hope every other stroke patient reading this also has the strength to walk away from those selfish people.

No comments:

Post a Comment