Tuesday 25 June 2013

From unexpected places

Me with an exhibit I built inworld
As you may know, I have been somewhat active in an online, virtual world where I have friends from around the world and where I can exercise my creativity and socialize with adults in a way that doesn't exceed my capacity. It's been a very very helpful place.

What works about this for me is my ability to control it all. Given that I can have a seizure if I am overstimulated or tired, this virtual world allows me to manage what I see onscreen to reduce visual stimulation; turn off sounds to reduce auditory stimulation; and, when I need a break, I log off! It's that easy.

The people aren't as easy to leave, but that's another story.

As with any collection of people there are all kinds of different types... some you wish you'd never bumped into and others who change your life in a positive way. Over the years of being there, I have now learned to be more wise about the people I keep company with online.

Anyway, after much time, I am now coming into my own. My avatar is 3.5 years old now so I guess, in that world, I am maturing beyond my rebellious teenage time online. [My avatar was always an adult, but maybe the avatar operator -me- was a bit immature.]

So now I go to live music events, poetry readings, classes, lots of things that are the "real Jen." Sometimes I even go dancing or play cards with friends.

One thing I never expected was the spiritual side of this online universe. At first, when I logged in, I could leave behind my real life obligations and escape... but it wasn't long before I learned that that was a false front and it was doing a disservice to myself. It also made me start to feel a bit frustrated. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time but I was losing touch with myself in the sense that parts of me were feeling silenced and pushed off to the side.

Sadly, even my faith seemed to be left behind when I logged on. I wasn't faithless. I just got swept away by the virtual world and the freedom of trying on new lives. It's complicated and likely non-sensical to those of you who have never spent time in a virtual environment, but it's a very interesting social ... experiment (for lack of a better world).

For now, let me just say that my most recent joy was finding some kindred spirits from around the world who are also trying to actively exercise their faith and spirituality in this surreal environment. I stumbled across the place quite by accident but I have been going there on and off for more than a year now, I guess.

A photo I took inworld where we meditate
Monday to Friday there is a morning, 30-minute, silent meditation at noon (my time - which is 9AM inworld). There is another at midnight (9PM inworld). And on Sundays there is an 11pm session.

I have recently offered to help with the mornning sessions since I am available and can help without a commute! What a treat.

But the thing that is so meaningful is the people I meet and "work" with. All magnificent people who are very inclusive and quite inspirational in their own ways.

Maybe someday I will get brave enough to tell you more about it. But for now, I offer this virtual peek into a place that lets all the abled and disabled participate on equal footing.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment