Sunday 9 June 2013

Watercolour Memories

Forty years ago today my parents were getting ready to exchange their vows. Hair curled, stockings on; clean cut and shaven; flowers and confetti. Oh the joy of June 9, 1973!

As time moved along babies came, loved ones passed ... and thanks to their union, here I am.

If only life really was a fairy tale. If only the bride and groom could hold each other's hand and that day's joy forever. But of course, life is only a kaleidoscope of moments because time moves on. And if the moment of their wedding had frozen there, I would not be here, nor would my brother, or my three sons.

My father often mentions how joyful he was when he became a father. I guess, nearing 40, he was thinking he might not have children. So I am sure he would say "thank God for time moving on." Babies, summers at the lake, family vacations, city council and careers served well. Yes, time moved us past many wonderful watercolour memories.

But as with day and night, ebb and flow, all of life has a balance. Dreams and nightmares.

Montfort Hospital, Ottawa
So here I sit, in a hospital, waiting for my 80 year old father while a surgeon wages unexpected war on cancer in his colon... it's hard not to wish for a happier time - one when Mom was still here.

Eventually, if you fall asleep on damp salty pillows often enough, you stop wishing for things that cannot be.

It's all about the here and now. Right now. Just absorb this moment. For better or for worse. Reach out and squeeze the hand of someone you love and thank God for the many blessings that make life's challenges more manageable.

As Mom always reminded me:
"This, too, shall pass."

No comments:

Post a Comment